The church of St. Nicholas is a Roman Catholic church in the community of Oberndorf near Salzburg in the district of Salzburg-Umgebung in the province of Salzburg. It is under monumental protection.
A church documented in 1120 was first recorded in 1160 as Nikoleikirche. Later it was called the "highly respected 'Schifferkirche'" St. Nikola.
The church fell victim to a fire on 1 April 1769. In the following years the church was rebuilt. It was consecrated on 28 October 1798 by Bishop Sigmund Christoph von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg. From 1816 it served as the pastoral care station of Österreichisch-Laufens, from 1850 as a parish church. On Christmas Eve 1818 the song Silent Night, Holy Night was sung in it for the first time.
Floods had repeatedly threatened St. Nicola. After the flood of 1899, the decision was made to create a new town centre at a higher point upstream and to build a new parish church of St. Nicholas by Matthäus Schlager. Although already under construction, the official laying of the foundation stone did not take place until March 19, 1906, which was carried out by Cardinal Johannes Baptist Katschthaler. It was consecrated by auxiliary bishop Balthasar Kaltner on November 25, 1907. The Silent Night Chapel, consecrated in 1937, now stands on the rubble cone of the demolished old church. (Source: https://www.pfarreoberndorf.at)